Yellow lentil soup, pahelo daal
A simple way to cook Nepali yellow lentils in a culinary fashion. A must try recipe!
- 1 cup Yellow split peas, masoor daal soakedwater for 15 minutes
- 3 oz Potatoes peeled and diced
- 5 oz Carrots peeled and diced
- 1 oz Onion roughly chopped
- 1 oz garlic roughly chopped
- 2 oz Tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 Cloves
- 1 tsp Vegetable oil - 1tsp
- 2 tsp Ghee or Butter
- 7 cups Water
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- Heat up vegetable oil, saute onion and garlic until translucent
- Add vegetables, cloves and lentil. Saute for another 2 minutes.Add water, bring it to boil, skim off the clouds and simmer for another 25 minutes or until fully cooked
- Add the seasoning
- Blend the soup with ghee until very smooth and creamy.
- Serve with Cilantro oil, chili powder and fresh nimkies.
- Above recipe is an alternative way to cook and serve yellow lentil soup in a western fashion. It includes culinary techniques in a restaurant style. - Any desirable yellow lentils can be used to prepare this recipe. Please keep in mind that cooking time may vary according the nature of the lentils. - Cilantro oil could be an optional which can be substituted with micro cilantro [baby cilantro leaves] or fully grown cilantro leaves. CILANTRO OIL Ingredients- Cilantro (also known as coriander leaves) - 1 handful Vegetable oil - ½ cup Directions - - In a boiling water, boil cilantro for 10 seconds, strain and dip in ice water - Remove from ice and blend thoroughly with oil - Strain the through the cheesecloth - Use for upto 3 weeks while refrigerated. - Enjoy this oil by drizzling over all kinds of pasta, soup and salads.