An easy way to cook pulau in a rice cooker. Just follow this recipe to make it in big batches.
- cup 1 rice
- cups 2 Water
- tsp 1 Cardamon
- tsp 1 Clove
- cup 1/3 Dried coconut,cashew nut and raisin
- tbsp 2 Ghee
- cup 1/3 Diced carrots and peas
- tsp 2 Salt
- tsp 1 Sugar - 1 tsp
- Rinse the rice and soak into 2 cups of water for 20-30 minutes. After soaked, strain the rice but keep the water for cooking. Do not throw them away.
- Smash the cardamon until it cracks.
- Gently fry the carrots and peas into 1 cup of ghee for about a minute.
- Pour the reserved water into rice cooker. Add rice, vegetables, cloves, cardamon, salt and sugar. Then turn on the electric cooker.
- While the rice is cooking, fry the mixed nuts with the rest of the ghee until golden brown.
- After the rice is cooked, pour the fried nuts and fold it gently.
- Serve it anytime.
Pulau is a well known dish in Nepal, especially served as a substitute for rice in parties. Best quality rice always makes the best pulau. It has rice taste and quite heavy.Rice cooker is not necessary. It can be cooked in any pot. The purpose of using the water from strained rice is to keep the starch and also to accurately measure the recipe. If we decide not to use that water, simply add 1 1/2 cup of cold water into strained rice. Do not over fry the the nuts. They turn bitter when over fried. Ghee can be substituted with clarified butter.