Pakayeko golbhedako achar, Cooked tomatoes chutney
A famous Nepali tomato chutney recipe. This recipe is simple and very authentic. It goes well serving with other main dishes, preferably a party dish. A must try!
- 4 cups Ripe tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup Green peas
- 4 Green chili - 4 chopped fine
- 1/2 medium sized Onion sliced
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup Water
- Saute onion until translucent, add garlic and cook for a minute
- Add rest of ingredients except water and peas
- Saute 2 minutes on high heat
- Add water
- Bring it up to boil, then turn down the heat to a minimum. Cover, and cook with occasional stirring. Mash the tomatoes with a spoon while stirring. This process may take up to 30 minutes.
- When completely soft, add green peas and cook for only 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- Store in the fridge up to 1 week.
- This tomato chutney is very famous in Nepal. The process of prepping and cooking this delicious chutney in such a simple but precise way carries an authentic example of Nepalese cuisine.
- Serves best in parties.
- To make the best out of it, always find ripest tomatoes from the market. Because they cook fast and taste better.
- It could be stored in the fridge up to 1 week.
- Green peas just cut back the sourness of tomatoes and add up the sweetness. That is why green peas are added only at the end. Also, it looks fresh even after cooked for only a few minutes. But definitely will look faded and unappealing when cooked for long.
- If we are cooking long ahead of time, do not add green peas, keep them separate. Then before serving, warm it up with green peas.
- Serve warm for best taste.