musoor daal recipe
A simple recipe to cook red lentil soup in Nepalese style.
- cup 1 Musoor daal [red lentils]
- cups 5 Water
- tsp 2 Salt
- tsp 1 Turmeric powder
- tsp 1 Garlic and ginger paste
- tsp 1 Chopped garlic
- tsp 1 Cooking oil or ghee
- Rinse the lentils with clean water. Mix with 5 cups of water, turmeric, salt, and garlic ginger paste.
- In a pot, bring the lentils to a boiling point and simmer until the lentils are soft and tender. Keep stirring to avoid burning at the bottom while they are simmering.
- In a separate small pan, heat up the oil or ghee and fry the chopped garlic until golden brown. Pour it to the cooked lentils immediately. This process is generally called tempering. Stir the lentils gently after tempering.
- Serve the lentils hot.
Above recipe is a simple recipe to cook Musoor daal. Instead of tempering garlic, we can always play around with other herbs and spices like dry cumin seeds, chopped onion, chopped scallion, green onion, dried chili, cilantro [coriander] etc. Ghee adds richer taste with lentils as compared to oil. Do not burn the lentils as they taste bitter.