A famous spicy and sweet chicken dish in Nepalese authentic style. This recipe includes step by step guide with video and important notes for perfection.
- 500 grams Boneless chicken
- 1 big sized Capsicum (green peppers) cut into medium-sized squares
- 1 big sized Red onion separated layers and cut into halves
- 2 medium sized Tomatoes cut into large cubes
- 1 tablespoon Ginger garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons Red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Tomato ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper black or white pepper powder
- 2 tablespoons Corn starch
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 1 small bunch Green onion (scallion) sliced into diagonal shaped
- Heat up 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Mix chicken with corn starch.
- Fry the chicken in oil until somewhat crispy. Remove from the oil.
- In the same pan, add remaining oil, make it hot.
- Add ginger and garlic paste. Saute until brown.
- Add chicken, capsicum and red onion. Saute in high heat for 1 minute.
- Add soy sauce, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Cook until sauce fully coated for just about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and cook for another 15-20 seconds while stirring. Turn off the heat.
- Serve immediately, optionally garnish with green onions.
Nepali chicken chili is served in almost all the Nepali restaurants in Nepal, and internationally. It is a very popular dish. The hot chili, capsicum being bitter and spicy, tomatoes, onion and ketchup sweetness, all bringing out a unique taste of Nepali authentic recipe, which is absolutely acquired. Every version of this recipe could be different but followed by one basic recipe, which is listed above. We can add our own variations like by substituting or adding red or yellow pepper (capsicum), white onions, cherry tomatoes, green chili, more chili, etc. To make the best chicken chili, buy the chicken thigh and breast together with freshest vegetables from the market. Fresh vegetables always give the crunchiness to this dish, which is also authentic. Do not cook tomatoes for a long time. If we are cooking chicken chili ahead of time, just add the tomatoes at the end and turn off the heat, do not cover. Before serving, just fold the tomatoes to the dish. The idea is leaving the tomatoes crispy while the sauce still coated. Tomatoes taste extra delicious when cooked with Nepalese chicken chili. Many countries also call corn starch as cornflour. Basically they are the same. In this recipe, corn starch is used to achieve crispy texture and also to prevent the chicken from sticking into the pan.