Bhuteko saag, sauted greens
A simplest way to cook any kinds of leafy greens in authentic Nepali way.
- 1/2 kg Any desired leafy greens – Approximately ½ Kilo stems removed if preferred
- 3 cloves garlic
- 4 whoe Dry red chili broken into pieces
- 1/2 tablespoon Olive or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- Chop the greens into small pieces, wash, and strain to dry.
- Heat up oil in a pan. Add garlic, fry them until golden brown.
- Add the chili, fry them.
- Add greens and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for a minute until greens become soft.
- Probably the easiest way to cook greens in a Nepalese style. Just make sure greens are washed very well. Straining water properly is important to have a dry and crispy texture after cooking. If not done so, greens will become soggy. But in general, people don’t care about soggy or dry greens, they love it anyway 🙂 - Above picture is of sauted watercress (Sim Saag) and broad mustard leaves (Rayoko Saag). Any greens can be cooked. For example: Spinach, broccoli rabe, Stinging nettles, dill, radish leaves, collard greens etc. etc. - Olive oil isn’t necessary, vegetable oil works very well.